Home » Our Services » The Sleep-Wake Center at Palisades
The Sleep-Wake Center at Palisades
Our area's only nationally-accredited Sleep Center.
Good sleep is important for good health.
Do you snore?
Do you feel sleepy during the day?
Do you have a history of high blood pressure?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, you may have a serious sleep disorder that can disrupt and disturb your overall quality of life. Sufficient sleep is essential for the human body to function physically and mentally. When you do not consistently sleep well, it can take a severe toll on your health.
You're Not Alone
Approximately 40 million people in the U.S. suffer from chronic long-term sleep disorders each year, and an additional 20 million people suffer occasional sleep problems. Most of those who have one are completely unaware of it. Many of those who are aware of it never choose to seek the help that they need. Some of the most-common sleep disorders include:
- Sleep Apnea -- interrupted sleep caused by periodic gasping or "snorting" noises or momentarily suspension of breathing.
- Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS) -- an unpleasant "creeping" sensation associated with aches and pains throughout the legs that can make it difficult to fall asleep.
- Insomnia -- an inability to fall or stay asleep that can result in functional impairment throughout the day.
- Narcolepsy -- excessive daytime sleepiness combined with sudden muscle weakness; episodes of narcolepsy are sometimes called "sleep attacks" and may occur in unusual circumstances.
Your First Step to a Good Night's Sleep
If you are having trouble getting to sleep or staying asleep, there may be a medical explanation, and you are far from alone. In most cases, sleep disorders can be easily managed once they are properly diagnosed. Your first step to a good night's sleep starts at the Sleep-Wake Center at Palisades.
Personalized Care in a Relaxed Setting
The Sleep-Wake Center's team of physicians and technologists offer a personalized and results-oriented approach to help you achieve regular sleeping patterns to improve your emotional and physical well being. We know you may be anxious, and we're here to help. Our staff strives to ensure comfort for our patients, taking time to discuss questions or concerns in a personalized manner.
The Sleep-Wake Center at HackensackUMC Palisades is our area's only nationally-accredited sleep study center. It features comfortable, hotel-like accommodations to help patients feel relaxed and right at home. Most importantly -- sleep studies can be performed during the day or at night to fit anyone's schedule.
Sleep Disorder Symptoms
- Feeling sleepy during the day, even when you get a good night's sleep
- Becoming irritable when you can't sleep
- Waking up at night and having trouble falling back to sleep
- Taking a long time to fall asleep
- Waking up very early without being able to fall back to sleep
- Feeling achy and stiff when you wake up in the morning
- Waking up often because of dreams
- Waking up gasping for breath
- Falling asleep while driving
For more information or to take a tour of The Sleep-Wake Center, please call (201) 854-5412 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.