Home » Our Services » Clinical Services » Nutrition Services
Good Nutrition For A Better Life
Are you eating the right foods to keep you healthy?
At Palisades Medical Center, we understand the value of good nutrition. We have an experienced staff of Registered Dietitians who are here to help you improve your health through better eating habits. Our team will provide an individualized assessment of your nutrition needs, and offer counseling on important health issues, including:
- High Cholesterol
- High Triglycerides
- Renal Disease
- Liver Disease
- Gastrointestinal Disorders
- Food Allergies
- Pregnancy and Lactation
- Pediatric and Adolescent Nutrition
- Weight Management
- Bariatric Surgical Patients (both pre- and post-surgery)
Top 10 Reasons Why Consulting with a Registered Dietitian Can Benefit You
- You have diabetes, cardiovascular problems or high blood pressure. A Registered Dietitian serves as an integral part of your health-care team by helping you safely change your eating plan without compromising taste or nutrition.
- You are thinking of having or have had gastric bypass surgery. A Registered Dietitian will help you learn to eat again. Since your stomach can only manage small servings, it's a challenge to get the right amount of nutrients in your body. A Registered Dietitian will work with you and your physician to develop an eating plan for your new needs.
- You have digestive problems. A Registered Dietitian will work with your physician to help fine-tune your diet so you are not aggravating your condition with fried foods, too much caffeine or carbonation.
- You're pregnant or trying to get pregnant. A Registered Dietitian can help make sure you get nutrients like folate, especially during the first three months of your pregnancy, lowering your newborn's risk for neural tube or spinal cord defects.
- You need guidance and confidence for breast-feeding your baby. A Registered Dietitian can help make sure you're getting enough iron, vitamin D, fluoride and B vitamins for you and your little one.
- Your teenager has issues with food and eating healthfully. A Registered Dietitian can assist with eating disorders like anorexia, bulimia and overweight issues.
- You need to gain or lose weight. A Registered Dietitian can suggest additional calorie sources for healthy weight gain or a restricted-calorie eating plan plus regular physical activity for weight loss while still eating all your favorite foods.
- You're caring for an aging parent. A Registered Dietitian can help with food or drug interaction, proper hydration, special diets for hypertension and changing taste buds as you age.
- You want to eat smarter. A Registered Dietitian can help you sort through misinformation, learn how to read labels at the supermarket, discover that healthy cooking is inexpensive, learn how to eat without ruining your eating plan and how to resist workplace temptations.
- You want to improve your performance in sports. A Registered Dietitian can help you set goals to achieve results — whether you're running a marathon, skiing or jogging with your dog.
Is Your Child Eating Healthy and Staying Active?
During the last 30 years, the number of children who are overweight has more than doubled among 2- to 5-year-olds and more than tripled among 6- to 11-year-olds. This increase has major health consequences and has broadened the focus of dietary guidance to address children's over-consumption of energy-dense, nutrient-poor foods and beverages and physical activity patterns.
Our Registered Dietitians will help reinforce lifelong eating habits that will help your child grow up healthy to reach his or her full potential and live a healthy life.
For more information or to make an appointment, please call (201) 854-5131 or (201) 854-5133.
For Patients at Palisades Medical Center
Your diet is an important component in your recovery. Palisades Medical Center is a proud partner of Sodexo, the leader in integrated food service and facilities management in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico. Sodexo is in business to create and offer services that contribute to a more pleasant way of life for people wherever and whenever they come together. One of the "World's Most Admired Companies" according to Fortune Magazine, Sodexo is dedicated to making every day a better day for patients at Palisades Medical Center.
Our food service department is staffed by full-time registered dieticians, who plan menus for each patient in accordance with physician's orders. If your doctor permits you to maintain a regular diet, however, you can select the next day's meals from a menu.
Personal Choice Dining
Patients on an unrestricted diet get to choose what they want to eat by selecting from a menu for all 3 meals of the day. A Sodexo hostess will provide you with a menu, discuss your likes and dislikes, and take your order. You'll choose what you like to eat from 30 selections for lunch, 30 selections for dinner, and at least 10 selections for breakfast — every day. Choices include daily specials as well as food that honors culture and religion.
Meals for Visitors
If you'd like a visitor to join you for a meal, guest trays can be ordered for a nominal fee.
Patient meals are served at the following times:
Breakfast: 7:15 a.m.–8:30 a.m.
Lunch: 11:15 a.m.–12:30 p.m.
Dinner: 4:15 p.m.–5:30 p.m.
If you miss a meal because you're having tests or treatments, your nurse will arrange for food to be delivered as soon as your doctor permits.